Common Spaces has a number of outdoor spaces available for a wide variety of purposes and uses that promote and enhance the academic, social and cultural wellbeing of Harvard’s students, faculty and staff. Spaces include the Plaza, the Porch at Memorial Church and the Patio at Dudley House.
One of the most popular locations is the Plaza, which is a large flexible use, outdoor piazza, available to the Harvard community for University events and activities. The Plaza has a variety of programmable spaces within it that can be reserved for both formal and informal University activities.
The Plaza tent is available for a fee during the spring and fall for large-scale Harvard events and programs. Requests for use of the Plaza Tent are reviewed on a rolling basis, twelve months in advance of the requested date. The fee for full-day use of the Plaza tent is $2,500 for Harvard student-organized activities. The fee for half-day use of the Plaza tent is $1,250 for Harvard student-organized activities. For Harvard school and department-organized activities, please contact the Harvard Events Management Office for pricing and to coordinate your request.
To make a space request, please click on your Harvard affiliation below:
Harvard College Students
1) All requests for use of Common Spaces venues including the Plaza tent must be registered and pre-approved by the Office of Student Life (OSL).
This registration is available via FAS RoomBook. By registering your event with OSL, the office can help coordinate licenses with the City of Cambridge, HUPD, details, bartenders, ticketing through the Harvard Box Office, and other event support. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Provide the Common Spaces office with documentation of OSL event pre-approval via email to email@example.com
3) Following steps 1 and 2, please complete the Harvard Common Spaces Student Reservation Request Form.
Harvard Graduate Students
1) All requests for use of Common Spaces venues and the Plaza tent must be registered and pre-approved by your respective graduate school student life office.
2) Provide the Common Spaces office with event pre-approval documentation from your student life office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Following steps 1 and 2, please complete the Common Spaces Harvard Student Reservation Request Form.
Harvard Schools and Department
1) Plaza Tent requests can be made directly by contacting Harvard Events Management.
2) All other Common Spaces venues can be requested by filling out the Common Spaces Schools and Departments Request Form.